Podcast Episode 004 Houston: How to Bake Delicious Gluten Free & Vegan Cakes
In this episode of Chefs Coast to Coast, Pastry Chef Jody of Jody Cakes chatted about her history of being a Chef in both Texas and California, what inspired her to start honing her skills to a unique market, and how to make the perfect cakes–especially if they are Gluten Free or Vegan cakes. Want to try your hand at it right now? Try these!
Pumpkin Spice Vegan Cupcakes
1/4 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon. vinegar, preferably apple cider
1 cup all purpose flour, preferably unbleached
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup each vegan sugar and packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon each ginger, nutmeg and salt
1/8 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
Dash of ground cloves and allspice
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line 12 count muffin tin with cupcake papers.
2. In large measuring cup, combine milk & vinegar to create soy “buttermilk. Allow to sit and curdle while preparing all the other ingredients.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugars and whisk until smooth. Sift together all additional dry ingredients, including the spices and salt into the sugars. Whisk to combine.
4. In small bowl, stir together pumpkin, applesauce, oil and vanilla.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry, adding soy “buttermilk” last. Combine all ingredients until smooth and pour into the prepared pan, filling cups about halfway.
6. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the tops spring back to a light touch.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
6 tablespoons Vegan Cream Cheese, such as Tofutti brand
2 tablespoons Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
2-4 tablespoons soy milk (as needed)
Cream together the cream cheese and butter and add vanilla. Add the sugar one cup at a time. If frosting is too thick, you may slowly add soy milk to loosen up to reach the desired consistency.
Tune in to this episode of Chefs Coast to Coast below, download it on Libsyn or subscribe on iTunes!